Supplier Returns manages the claim process where you are requesting credit from the Supplier. Claims can be made for a variety of reasons, for example:
- Items damaged during transit
- If you were overcharged
- Products were not supplied, missing etc.
Supplier Returns will manage any changes to the inventory value or inventory movements.
Before you Begin
Before you begin using Supplier Returns, it's essential you do the following:
- Create your own Supplier Return Reasons e.g. Overcharged, Faulty
- Review Understanding Supplier Returns - this essential article includes information on inventory movements and variances
It is not recommended to proceed until you have reviewed these articles.
Create a Supplier Return
To create a Supplier Return:
- Navigate to Inventory > Supplier Returns
- A list of all Supplier Returns will be displayed
Click Export to Excel to download a spreadsheet listing the Supplier Returns
- Click Create New
- Select the Supplier and Outlet - these can only be edited while the Return Status is Incomplete
- Click Create
- The Supplier Return ID and Status will be displayed at the top
- Click the Include Tax In Claim toggle to exclude tax from the return
Include Tax can only be modified before a Credit Note has been applied; if you have items both with and without tax you will need to prepare separate Supplier Returns;
- Enter a Return Authorisation number (RA#)
You can filter Supplier Returns by RA to make it easier to find this Return in the future
- Enter Notes for the supplier (notes will be displayed in the PDF)
- To add an item enter a code into the PLU Scan field
Enter the Product ID, Supplier SKU, Supplier SKU 2, Manufacturer SKU or Barcode
- As you type, the results will filter to products with a code starting with the text you've entered
Click to view full size
- Click the product, or use your keyboard arrows to highlight the product and press Enter
- The product will be added to the table
- Continue to add products (press Enter or Save), or click the line to begin editing the newly added product
You can add the same product over multiple lines e.g. products purchased on different invoices, or different information e.g. Return Reasons
Click to view full size
As you update the fields the changes will be saved automatically
- To bulk edit products select one or more products and click Edit Items
- Edit the options and click Update
- To edit a single product click the product row
- Select the Return From inventory status bucket - this will default to Available
Depending on where your inventory is currently located you can choose a return from location e.g. Available, Faulty or None - refer to the FAQs below for more detail on these options.
- Select a Return Reason (required)
Create custom reasons via Supplier Return Reasons; if multiple products are being returned for separate reasons, rather than update the quantity you should enter the product code into the PLU box to add a second product line with the other Return Reason
- Enter Notes against the product if required
- Update the Quantity
- Add an Original Inv Ref (optional) - your suppliers may request a reference to the original purchase of the item (the Original Invoice Number), or the date you last purchased the item
- Edit the Original Item Buy Ex if required (the price you purchased the product for, or the amount charged by the supplier - defaults automatically to the Supplier Buy Ex price)
- Enter the Item Claim Amount Ex (the credit amount you're claiming)
The Item Claim Amount Ex cannot be more than the Original Item Buy Ex - see the FAQs below for information on processing overcharges
- Click Save
- To delete an item tick the box in the first column and click Delete
Items can only be deleted when the Supplier Return is in the status of "Incomplete", otherwise, the products will be marked as Cancelled
- Repeat for any additional products
Start the Return Process
Once you have created the claim you're ready to start the return i.e. send the claim to the supplier.
The inventory will be moved from your "Return From" location (Available or Faulty) to the "On Return" status. This will isolate the inventory while you wait for your supplier to process the claim on their end. If you have selected None, no inventory movement will be actioned. View the Inventory Movement Log to see detailed information on the status update.
- Open the Supplier Return
- Click Start Return
- Press Yes to the confirmation message
- The status will be updated to In Progress in the header of the Return
- The Supplier Return will update to show a status of "Pending" for each of the products
- The inventory will be updated for products with a "Return From" option of Available or Faulty to decrease the Available/Faulty quantity and increase the "On Return" quantity
- Click Export to PDF to print the Supplier Return
- Click Email to email the Supplier Return
- Click the Left Arrow to return to the list of all Supplier Returns
- When the Supplier has advised of the outcome of the claim, follow the steps to either Apply a Credit Note or Cancel an Item.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Supplier Returns PDF is created by opening a claim and clicking Export to PDF.
- The PDF will sort the products as per the sorting used on the Supplier Returns window, so if you have multiple products you can click the column headings to sort the products e.g. Supplier SKU 2
- The code used for the barcode is as per the Preferred Label Code in the POS Settings
- The Date is the date the Supplier Return was started i.e. moved to "In Progress"
Tip: Click multiple headings to use multi sort e.g. sort by Manufacturer SKU then Supplier SKU.
The Return From field is used to automatically move inventory to the "On Return" status as a result of the Supplier Claim. It's important to isolate these products while you wait for the supplier to process the claim.
|Available||You received a Purchase Order only to find the items were short shipped (missing) or damaged. The products need to be removed from the Available stock as they're not available for sale.|
|Faulty||Your in-store staff processed a Refund via POS and the received items were added to the Faulty status. The stock can be moved from Faulty to On Return to indicate the claim is being processed.|
|None||You were overcharged for an item and still want to keep the product but claim a credit for the incorrect charge (refer to Processing Overcharges)|
Currently, processing Supplier Returns for International Suppliers is not fully supported. We recommend the following process:
- Create the Supplier Return using the Supplier Buy Ex (in your suppliers' currency)
- Select Start & email the Supplier Return to your supplier
- When you receive the Credit Note from your supplier, it's important you manually convert the amounts into your local currency first so you don't incorrectly impact your inventory value
- Overwrite the Original Buy Price and Claim Amounts to reflect your local price before posting the Credit Note
- Edit the Credit Note in your accounting package to reflect the correct value in the foreign currency (optional if using an accounting integration)
You currently cannot manage credits for Freight Charges or other on-costs. If this is important to you please let us know!
You can view and report on the "On Return" stock bucket in the following locations:
|Edit a Product (Inventory Tab)||
The "Location and Status" table on the Inventory Tab includes an "On Return" column, where you can see at a glance how many items from each Outlet are being processed on a Supplier Return
|Inventory Movement Log||
Filter by a Movement Type of "Supplier Return"
Results show when Supplier Returns are processed e.g. Incomplete to In Progress
Results include an On Rtn (On Return) column
|Item Detail Export||
Added as a column in the export file
|Stock Control Report||
New "On Return > 0" filter
|Stock Value vs Sales||
Added On Return to the Stock Value Based On filter (selected by default).
You can automatically include a cc address on emailed Supplier Returns using the global EmailCC e.g. if you want to receive copies by default.
Note: This will also affect the default CC for Purchase Orders
To change the default email:
- Navigate to Settings > Global Settings
- Locate the General section
- Update the EmailCC field