Version Note: Retail Express Shopify Connector | Find FAQs and related articles at the bottom of this page
During the end-to-end order process there are various synchronisations that take place between both Shopify and Retail Express. The workflow to process an order once it has been received into Retail Express is covered in more detail below.
Processing a Sale
When a sale is created in Retail Express it uses the "Shopify Integration" Sales Person, and can be filtered by the Order Source of "Shopify". This is useful when viewing reports within Retail Express, for example the Sales Report or the Fulfilment Report.
Steps to processing a sale:
Payments are synchronised separately from the order to allow for any delays from the merchant e.g. PayPal.
If the payment can't be immediately associated with an order when the payment notification is received, the system will wait 10mins before the first retry. During this time, the order will remain as "Awaiting Payment" in Retail Express.
The payment synchronisation will be retried at the following intervals:
- Initial synchronisation
If your payment has still not synchronised after 100mins, please contact the Support team for assistance.
Depending on where the inventory is sourced from, Transfers may be required to send stock to the Fulfilment Outlet before being sent to the customer. Transfers will need to be processed within Retail Express prior to the sale being fulfilled. Refer to the "Stock Transfer Essentials" article for information on processing transfers.
If you would prefer not to transfer stock, you can enable Split Web Order Fulfilment in your Shopify Configuration (for future sales), and edit the existing sale in POS. Update the Source and Fulfil Outlets to the same location to cancel the Transfer and dispatch the stock straight to the customer.
Tip: Enable Shopify Split Web Order Fulfilment to reduce the need for Transfers and fulfil stock straight to the customer instead
When processing sales, Retail Express should be used for the fulfilling and shipping of all online sales. Any fulfilments processed directly within Shopify will not be synchronised to Retail Express. The order will not be updated in Retail Express, meaning:
- the order will remain outstanding
- inventory levels will be inaccurate as the stock will remain in the allocated status in Retail Express
Note: Retail Express does not support the use of any third-party fulfilment services on Shopify. Changes made to the Fulfilment Service for an order on Shopify are reverted during the synchronisation.
When using a third-party fulfilment service in Shopify (like Retail Express) there are two stages in the order fulfilment process:
- Fulfilment Requested
Shopify is automatically updated as the order is fulfilled within Retail Express. Tracking information is added manually (see the next section after Fulfilment), but following that no further action is required.
- Multiple Shipments: Retail Express supports multiple shipments for Shopify sales. Simply follow the process below to dispatch the relevant products as required, until the entire order is complete
- Email notification: The customer automatically receives the Shipment email notification at the conclusion of the fulfilment process.
The method used to fulfil the sale largely depends on the requirements of the user:
- Fulfilment report - better for processing multiple orders at once
- POS - better for processing individual order without leaving POS
Using the Fulfilment Report is the recommended and most efficient method for processing web sales.
The Fulfilment Report method allows you to:
- Easily locate all outstanding orders to be Fulfilled and view if payment has been received
- Dispatch multiple products AND sales orders through a single page
- Filter by specific criteria, including: date range, fulfilment location
- Access Picking Lists, print address labels and invoices directly from the report
- Quickly open and edit the sale at POS via the Edit button i.e: if you need to add a payment to the invoice
Using the Fulfilment Report
For detailed information on using the Fulfilment Report, please see: Fulfil Products from the Fulfilment Report
Viewing Ordered Products
- Log into Retail Express
- Navigate to Inventory > Fulfilment Report (the Fulfilment Report is also available from the Quick Links menu)
- To view Shopify orders only select "Shopify" from the Order Source filter
- Use the remaining filters to narrow the search as required (note the "Delivery Status" is set to "Not Delivered" by default)
- Click Search
- The individual products for each order will be displayed in the Results tab
- Process any Transfers prior to fulfilling the sale (as per the section earlier in this article)
- To generate a Picklist: click XLS Picklist
- To print an invoice click Print > Invoices
- To print labels click Print > Labels
- Enter the number of products being dispatched in the Disp column using any of the following methods:
- Manually enter the quantity against each product by clicking in the Disp field and typing the value
- Click in the PLU scan field and use a barcode scanner (or manually type the barcode). Each time the barcode is scanned it will increase the Disp column by 1 for the first result in the list (if viewing multiple different orders in the results it's essential to ensure this is against the correct order)
- Click the Copy Across button to populate the Disp column of all results with the full Ordered quantity
- Click Submit to fulfil the products and apply the changes
Tip: If you need to pause and return back to the Dispatch process at a later time, enter a name in the Save As field and click Save to save the results as a saved list without adjusting the inventory or fulfilling the sales.
POS is a simple method for processing sales on an individual sale-by-sale basis. POS alerts provide a handy notification of the count of incoming web sales during the day, and links to search functionality to action and process the sales.
Actions are on an individual sale basis rather than in bulk. Search filters are limited to invoice information compared to the Fulfilment Report (where more filters are available).
Note: the alert will display for orders only required to be actioned by that specific Outlet i.e. any order that is awaiting payment or the products are required to be fulfilled/dispatched to the customer.
Open a sale from an alert
To open a sale to be processed from the alert:
- From the main window of Retail Express, click POS
- Sign into the POS system using a valid Username and Password
- Click the Alert
- The Search Sales Orders, Invoices and Quotes window will be displayed
Tip: Open web orders for the last 6 months will be selected by default
- To view orders for the current date click the Calendar icon, select Today and click Apply
- Click Preview to view the invoice for the order
- Click Open to open the order
- Click the Fulfilment tab and dispatch the stock using any of the following methods:
- Use the arrow at the top of the screen to dispatch all products
- Use the arrow at the line item level to dispatch remaining stock
- Enter a specific Dispatch Quantity by clicking in the line field and manually entering the number
- Click Finalise to save the changes and finalise the order
Tip: You can email customers directly from POS at the time of dispatching an order e.g. Your order has been processed. You should amend your POS Email Template to ensure the External Order Reference has been included on the email to display the Shopify invoice number.
For more information on the Fulfilment tab in POS refer to "How do I best use the Fulfilment tab in a POS sale?"
Adding tracking numbers allows both your business and your customer to see the package is on the way, including an estimated time of delivery.
To add Tracking Numbers to an order in Shopify:
- Log into Shopify
- Open the Orders page
- Click on the appropriate order
- Click Add tracking
- Enter the Tracking number
- The Tracking URL field will appear - leave blank and move to the next step
- Select a Carrier (if the required Carrier isn't displayed click "Other", and enter a Tracking URL if known)
- By default the option Send notification email to customer will be selected, untick if this should not be sent to the customer
- Click Save
The tracking information will be updated and emailed to the customer.
Reminder: Transactions from online stores will be added to the Back Office register; you should process a Cash Up/End of Day to reconcile the income accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
If an order needs to be cancelled and refunded or a product is returned, this will need to be managed in both systems independently:
- Cancel/Refund processed in Shopify (this will show in the customer history online)
Important - do not restock/add the product quantity back via Shopify - your online store inventory is managed by Retail Express and will be updated when the refund is processed there
- Cancel/Refund processed in Retail Express (this will not show in the customer history online, but will be visible in the customer history in Retail Express)
- Money returned or credit provided to the customer (this may need to be processed online directly through the merchant facilities rather than within Shopify)
Tip: Retail Express supports Gift Voucher integration with Shopify, allowing vouchers to be redeemed either online or in-store. See the Shopify - Gift Voucher Integration article for more information.
For detailed information on processing a refund/cancellation refer to the article Integrated web stores - Managing Refunds/Cancellations of web orders
Total order discounts are applied to all products in an order, while item specific discounts (for example Buy One Get One Free) are applied to the relevant products when the order is synchronised to Retail Express.
As part of setting up the integration a new Sales Person will be created called "Shopify Integration", assigned to all sales within Retail Express created via Shopify. This enables you to report on any Shopify sales within Retail Express where a Sales Person can be selected e.g. the Sales Report
Tip: You can also use the Order Source of "Shopify" or "Web Service" where this filter exists on any reports
Want more information? View all Shopify articles.