Version Note: Retail Express Shopify Connector | Find FAQs and related articles at the bottom of this page
Customers are constantly synchronised between Shopify and Retail Express using the email address as the unique reference. As events occur the data will be synchronised and updated e.g. when the customer creates an account online, or makes a purchase online.
The email address is used as the identifier between both systems, so it's important to ensure you have reviewed the data prior to synchronising your customers.
Important: Removing an email address from a customer account will stop the synchronisation between both systems.
To get started with your customer synchronisation you need to complete the following steps:
- Restrict duplicate customer email addresses (to prevent duplicate accounts)
- Import customers - if you have customers from an existing web store you should import them into Retail Express before enabling the synchronisation so the two accounts can be mapped
- Enable your integration
Each of these steps are covered in more detail below
Restrict Duplicate Email Addresses:
- Navigate to: Retail Express Back Office > Settings > POS Settings > Customer Settings.
- Untick the option "Allow Duplicate Customer Emails"
- Press "Save Changes"
If you need to remove any duplicate accounts already in your system, refer to the Restricting Duplicate Customer Emails article for more information.
You will need to import your customers into Retail Express to prepare them for synchronisation to the web store. If you have an existing site, customers will be mapped to their existing accounts using the email address to match accounts.
To import customers into Retail Express:
- Navigate to CRM > Customers
- Click Get Excel Template to download a blank Import template (Microsoft Excel spreadsheet
- Enter the customer data into the spreadsheet
- Save the file
- In Retail Express click the Upload Excel tab
- Follow the prompts to upload your customers
Tip: For detailed step-by-step instructions refer to the Customers - Create Customers by Mass Upload article
- Follow the steps in the Customer Synchronisation section below to publish the customers to Shopify
Customers will automatically be synchronised immediately after connecting Retail Express and Shopify together.
By synchronising the existing customer accounts at the time of connecting the two systems it will create a customer record in Shopify. If the customer then tries to create an account they will be prompted to verify their account, and it will activate the existing record.
If the synchronisation has not yet taken place, when the customer tries to create an account it will automatically create a new account in Retail Express, and will be unable to activate the existing account.
Note: Customers are not notified of accounts being created online at the time of synchronisation, so this can be performed prior to launching the Shopify store. Customers can be prompted to activate their account by staff members sending an Account Invitation from the Shopify Admin (see the Shopify Help Centre for more information).
The following articles relate to the ongoing use of the Retail Express Shopify Connector, assuming the initial synchronisation has already taken place.
When a customer is published to Shopify it creates a customer record as an inactive account. The customer will be required to create an account online, prompting an email that requires them to activate their account. Alternatively, customers can be prompted to activate their account by staff members sending an Account Invitation from the Shopify Admin (see the Shopify Help Centre for more information).
Customers can be synchronised from Retail Express to Shopify through the following methods:
- Individually - by editing customer records
- Automatically - as customers are created via POS
Note: the setting for automatic publishing must be enabled - discussed further below
- En-masse - using Customer Mass Download/Upload
Each method is detailed below.
To update/publish a customer account that already exists within Retail Express:
- Within Retail Express, navigate to: CRM > Customers
- Search for the required customer
- Click Search
- Click the corresponding Customer No. to open the customer record
- Locate Publish To Shopify
- Tick the Shopify Store
- Click Save Changes
The customer will be queued to synchronise to the Shopify store.
Note: If this is the first time you have updated customers after configuring the Shopify Integration, and the integration is not yet enabled, your customers will sync once you enable your Shopify integration. If the two systems are already integrated and enabled, the customers will be queued for synchronisation immediately after updating the customer in Retail Express.
To update/publish multiple customer accounts that already exist within Retail Express:
- Within Retail Express, navigate to: CRM > Customers Mass Download
- Click Export to Excel
- A spreadsheet will be downloaded containing customer information in Retail Express
- Locate the column "Publish To:url" (where URL is the address for your Shopify store)
- To publish the customer to Shopify change the column to read TRUE
- Save the spreadsheet to your computer
- Return to: CRM > Customers Mass Upload
- Click the Upload Excel tab
- Click Browse for File
- Navigate to the saved file
- Click Upload
Once the file has been successfully uploaded the results will be displayed on the window
For more information on the Customer Mass Download/Mass Upload process refer to the articles at the bottom of this page.
Note: If this is the first time you have updated customers after configuring the Shopify integration, and the integration is not yet enabled, your customers will sync once you enable your Shopify integration. If the two systems are already integrated and enabled, the customers will be queued for synchronisation immediately after uploading the Mass Upload spreadsheet into Retail Express.
Customers can be configured to automatically publish to Shopify as they're created within Retail Express.
To configure customers to auto publish:
- Log into Retail Express
- Navigate to Settings > POS Settings > Customer Settings
- Locate the field Default Publish to Shopify to Enabled for new Customers field (there will be a tickbox and the URL of the Shopify store)
- Tick the tickbox
- Click Save Changes
(Note: your Shopify URL will appear in this field)
During the Customer Synchronisation the following information is synchronised between the two systems:
|First Name||First Name|
|Last Name||Last Name|
Customer accepts marketing
*Note: If a customer chooses to unsubscribe later, their subscription preference is not synchronised. Both Retail Express and Shopify will need to be manually updated to reflect the correct information.
Note: the following Shopify fields are not integrated with Retail Express
- Customer is tax exempt
Orders are synchronised between Shopify and Retail Express, however it is online orders only. Customers will not be able to see orders placed in-store.
When an order is sent from Shopify to Retail Express, the following information is updated:
- First name
- Last Name
- Email preferences (i.e. if they have subscribed to the newsletters)
The address information is sent directly to the order itself. No changes are applied to the default customer address in Retail Express.
- Billing Address
- Address Line 1
- Address Line 2
- Post Code
- Delivery Address
- Address Line 1
- Address Line 2
- Post Code
New customer accounts are sent from Shopify and created in Retail Express, even when an order has not been placed. This can be done through either of the following actions online:
- When a customer creates an account
- When signing up for newsletter subscriptions (non-customer accounts)
During this process the information is sent from Shopify to Retail Express:
- Email address
- First name (new account only)
- Last name (new account only)
- Receives Email (newsletter subscription only)
Want more information? View all Shopify articles.