Find FAQs and related articles at the bottom of this page
The Excel Stocktake Scan Method uses the Retail Express Excel Stocktake functionality with the addition of a scanning device, including Mobile Phones, Devices and Tablets.
Note: The Excel Stocktake Scan process is only compatible with Windows computers, and will not work with a Mac OS.
Did you know: If you have a mobile device (tablet or smart phone) you can use the Retail Express Mobile Stocktake options to perform a Stocktake (including a simplified Excel version and a web app).
To complete the stocktake products are loaded into the Excel Scan tool, the stocktake completed, results loaded back into the Stocktake spreadsheet and imported into Retail Express.
In this article:
- Stocktake Methods (what stock is being counted)
- Stocktake Update Methods (what stock is being adjusted)
- Step 1 - Exporting Retail Express products
- Step 2 - Downloading Excel Scan tool
- Step 3 - Importing the Stocktake Spreadsheet into the Excel Scan tool
- Step 4 - Performing a Stocktake
- Step 5 - Complete and save the Stocktake
- Step 6 - Upload the Stocktake Excel file into Retail Express
Create a Stocktake with a Barcode Scanner
Note: There is no Authorisation step for the Excel upload. If you require authorisation for your stock count you can adjust the Security Profile permissions to limit access to the "Stocktake" functionality to only those authorise to upload (they will need to provide the Excel spreadsheet to staff performing the Stocktake that are unable to access this feature).
The Stocktake Method you select depends on what stock you will be counting - Available and Allocated stock, or Available stock only. What option is selected will also affect what count value is available to use in the Stock Adjustment process (defined when uploading the file).
This method is selected at the point of creating the Excel file.
Note: Allocated stock is stock that is either sold but not yet Fulfilled (e.g. a Layby) or stock allocated to a transfer to another Outlet.
|Adjust Stock On Hand||
Available = Total count - Allocated
The system looks at the total products that were counted during the Stocktake, and from that value deducts the Allocated stock. Whatever is remaining is assumed to be the correct value for the Available stock, and processes a Stock Adjustment to bring the Available qty to the equivalent of that number.
E.g. There are 10 products counted, and 2 are layby products (Allocated stock). It assumes that 8 products are Available. If the system has recorded there are only 7 products currently in the Available status a stock adjustment is processed to increase Available stock by 1. The system now shows 8 Available, 2 Allocated for a total of 10 SOH.
Note: if you choose Include Picked Qty you will need to ensure that you have included any Picked stock in the count (it will be deducted in the calculation similar to Allocated).
|Adjust Available||Available = Total count||
Whatever stock is counted is the Available stock.
Allocated stock is not factored into this calculation, and therefore should not be counted e.g. Laybys, stock awaiting transfer.
E.g. There are 10 products counted, the system has only 7 in the Available status. A stock adjustment is created to increase the Available stock by 3, so that Available now shows 10.
Note: Include Picked Qty should not be used with this method.
The Stocktake Update Method defines what stock is being adjusted, compared to the Stocktake Method which relates to which stock is being counted. The values are dependant on the Stocktake Method selected when the Stocktake was created - for example how the Stock On Hand figure was calculated.
Note: What Stocktake Update Method you select directly affects the update to the quantity levels in Retail Express, so it's essential you choose carefully.
|Absolute||Your Count||Updates the Available quantity with the figure entered into the "Your Count" column as an absolute quantity e.g. if the value was 5 the stock will be adjusted to equal 5.|
The Available Quantity will be adjusted by the calculated difference displayed in the Variance column. If there is a 0 variance the product will not be adjusted.
The difference is calculated from what stock was expected (Stock on Hand) compared to what stock was counted (Your Count). For example, if there were 2 products expected but only 1 was counted a stock adjustment will be processed for -1, to reduce the stock from 2 to 1.
To identify the products that will be included on the stocktake you will need to export a list of the products from Retail Express. This will then be imported into the Excel Scan tool ready for your barcode scanner.
- Navigate to Inventory > Stock Take > Create Stock Take
- Enter valid User Account details and click Log In
Note: Access to the Create Stock Take feature is controlled through the Staff Profile Security feature "Stock Take"; for any queries please consult your System Administrator
- Use the filters to generate your file (see below for detailed information on each filter and option)
- Select a Stock Take Method
Note: The method you select is extremely important and will determine which products you count - all stock on hand or Available stock only. See the Stocktake Methods section above for detailed information. Selecting the incorrect version can affect the accuracy of your Stocktake.
- Click Create Excel File
- A file will begin downloading to your computer - this is your Excel Stocktake File. Depending on the number of products you have selected it may take a minute for the file to generate and begin downloading.
- Make a note of the saved location - you will need this file in the next section.
- Do not open this file - this file will be used in a future step to import into the excel scan file; no modifications should be made to the file.
|Sort Results By||The order in which the products are displayed on the Results page e.g. by Supplier, Supplier SKU, Description|
|Then Sort By||After the first Sort By result, what secondary option should the products be ordered e.g. if Supplier was selected in the first option and then Description, the products would be displayed in order of Supplier, with the products for each supplier appearing in alphabetical order|
|Product PLU||Used to filter the stock take to an individual selection only i.e. Product ID, Supplier SKU, or for multiple products with the same style code, Manufacturer SKU|
|Include Disabled Products||If products that have been marked as Disabled should be included in the results (note: this will affect the 5000 product limit)|
|Default Counts to Zero||
Should be used with caution.
When the products are initially filtered the stocktake process leaves the count field blank for all products. Products that aren't counted and have a blank "Count" field will be ignored when the Stocktake is approved - no inventory adjustment takes place.
Ticking this option means that all products will automatically have a Count value of "0". When the stocktake is taken and submitted, any products with a Count value of zero will have their inventory levels reset back to zero.
|Include Picked Qty||
Includes into the SOH quantity any products currently in the "Picked" status of an Internal Transfer (refer to the article on Stock Transfers for more information)
Should only be used when the Stock Take Method has been set to "Adjust Stock On Hand" method
|Show only Negative Stock||
Display only products where the SOH level is a negative
|Include Core Products||
The main or Core product lines only
|Stock Take Method||
This is an extremely important selection and will determine what stock should be counted - all stock on hand or available stock only.
Refer to the Stocktake Methods section above for detailed information.
The Excel Scan tool is used during the Stocktake Process to scan and count products. This file is initially blank, but during a later step the products will be downloaded from Retail Express and imported into this file.
Note: The file is a "Macro-enabled Excel Workbook" and is only compatible with Windows PCs running Microsoft Office 2010+. This is not compatible with Mac OS.
To download the file:
- Click the ExcelWirelessScan.xlsm link
- The file will download to your computer
- Save the file in an appropriate location
- Open the file
- Click the Enable Editing button to unlock the file
- Click Enable Content to enable the Scanning features
- Keep this file open ready for importing the Stocktake spreadsheet
The Stocktake spreadsheet is populated into the Excel Scan Tool in order to give your scanned products something to reference. As each product is scanned and located the count will be updated.
To import the spreadsheet:
- Open the ExcelWirelessScan.xlsm file downloaded in step 2.
- Click Start
- A warning will be displayed reminding about an empty Stocktake spreadsheet downloaded from Retail Express. Click Yes
- Browse to the location of the file downloaded in section 2 and click Open
- The products will be populated into the Excel Scan spreadsheet ExcelWirelessScan.xlsm
To perform a stocktake:
- Click the empty Search field
- Scan a product barcode
- The file will filter to the scanned product and enter a Your Count value of 1
- Continue to scan additional products - if you scan a different product it will filter to that product and add the count, but the count values will remain intact for any other products you have already counted
- To search for a product tick the Lookup option and enter details in the Search field, noting the attribute options above the Search field (the Lookup option will prevent the system from entering a value into the Your Count column when it returns products based on the search criteria)
Note: If you select Short Description but enter a Supplier SKU the results will be limited to the Short Description field only and may not return the intended product
- Press Clear Filters to reset the view and see all products (the Your Count value will be retained)
- Continue scanning as required
Note: Ensure that if you have used Search that you have cleared the Lookup option so that it resumes updating the Your Count value for products
- For multiple products click into the Your Count column and manually enter a value
- When a barcode is scanned and there are No Matching Products the product results section will be blank and an alert tone will sound to indicate the error (the speakers on the computer must be enabled and the volume at an appropriate level)
- Click the Errors tab of the spreadsheet - a list of products will be displayed
- Click the Stocktake tab to resume counting products
- Click Save to save the progress
Once you have completed your Stocktake and you're ready to upload the file into Retail Express you will need to click Finish and follow the prompts.
- On the spreadsheet click Finish
- A message will be displayed to confirm you would like to proceed, click Yes
- The Default Counts to Zero option gives you the ability to reset the inventory to zero if the product wasn't counted; click Yes to reset those products, or click No to leave their inventory levels untouched (it will remain the current level in Retail Express)
- Enter a Name for the stocktake
Note: The file will be saved in the same location as the existing file you have been working on - ExcelWirelessScan.xlsm
- Click OK
- The new file will be opened in the format required by Retail Express to upload the stocktake. Close the file without making any changes
Once the upload file has been created you can upload it into Retail Express to update the stock levels for your products.
Note: If you have processed sales while the Stocktake was underway you will need to either adjust the Stocktake file prior to upload, or enter Manual Adjustments into Retail Express afterwards. Refer to the Stocktake - Processing sales/trading while performing a stocktake article for detailed information on this process.
To upload the Stock Take Excel File:
- Log into Retail Express
- Navigate to Inventory > Stock Take > Create Stock Take
- Enter valid User Account details and click Log In
- Click the Skip to Upload button in the bottom left-hand corner
- Click Browse and locate the Stocktake Excel file
- Select the Outlet for the Stocktake
- Select an Update Method
Important - ensure you select the correct method to ensure the adjustments to the Inventory are processed correctly. Refer to the Stocktake Update Methods section above for detailed information
- Enter any Comments as required e.g. the name of the staff responsible for the count
- Click Submit Stocktake
The result will be applied to your Inventory levels immediately. To report on the Stocktake refer to the Stock Take Report.
Want more information? Find related articles here: