Max Discount Rules are used to limit the discount that can be applied to products, ensuring your staff have the flexibility to discount products as needed but remain profitable.
Types of Discounts
Retail Express utilises two types of discounts:
|Manual discounts||Discounts applied by a user within POS by changing a Price or discount-related field|
Discounts applied automatically via:
On top of this there are two different types of Discount Rules that can be applied:
|Max Discount Rule||
Applies system-wide, including:
|User Discount Rule||Applies to manual discounts only, and will not affect web store and API integrations|
Back to top
Group rules define how the maximum discount is calculated.
Note: The Cost Price used is the Cost of Goods Sold (Ex Tax) value.
|Cost Price Plus % Value||
Uses the Cost Price of the product plus the entered % value to calculate the lowest possible price of the product.
e.g. a product with a Cost Price of $20 and a 25% value discount has the lowest possible price of $25.
|Cost Price Plus $ Value||
Uses the Cost Price of the product plus the entered $ value to calculate the lowest possible price of the product.
e.g. a product with a Cost price of $20 and a $25 value discount has the lowest possible price of $45.
|Sell Price Minus % Value||
Uses the Sell Price of the product minus the entered % value to calculate the lowest possible price of the product.
e.g. a product with a Sell Price of $20 and a 25% value discount has the lowest possible price of $15
|Sell Price Minus $ Value||
Uses the Sell Price of the product plus the entered $ value to calculate the lowest possible price of the product.
e.g. a product with a Sell Price of $100 and a $25 value discount has the lowest possible price of $75.
Be careful not to enter a Minus % or $ calculation that will allow the product to be discounted to $0.
Product Max Discount
To create a Max Discount Rule:
- Navigate to Settings > Max Discount
- Enter a Group Name
- Enter the Value of the discount
- Select the Group Rule
- Click Create
User Max Discount
To create a User Discount Rule:
- Click the User Discount Rules tab
- A list of Security Profiles not yet assigned to a rule will be displayed in the table at the top
Security Profiles can only be assigned to one Max Discount Rule
- Click to highlight the Security Profile you wish to update (hold Ctrl to select multiple)
- Click the right arrow to move the profile to the right
- Select the Max Discount Rule from the dropdown
- Click Create
- The Security Profile will be added to the table at the bottom
- Click the Pencil icon to edit the Discount Rule assigned to an existing Security Profile
- Click Delete to delete the User Discount Rule
This will only delete the User Discount Rule associated with a Max Discount Rule, not the Max Discount Rule itself
The ability to override the Max Discount Rule in POS is configured via the POS Security Features.
- Navigate to Staff > POS Security Features
- Select the Security Profile from the Profile drop-down
Related: View more information about Profile Security
- Tick the following options:
- Allow Discount Past Maximum Discount
- Allow Discount Past User Discount Rule
- Click Save
View the POS Security article for more information on configuring POS Security Features.
Max Discount Rules are product-specific and can be applied to products either individually or in bulk.
- Edit a product
- Locate the Pricing section on the Main tab
- Locate the Max Discount field
- Select the Maximum Discount Rule from the drop-down
- Click Save Changes
- Navigate to Inventory > Product Search & Management
Refer to the Inventory - Product Search & Management article for detailed step-by-step instructions
- Use the Filters to search for your products
- Click Search
- Use the Apply Max Discount section at the top
- Use the Choose box to select a Max Discount Rule
- Select an Apply To option to select which products will be updated
- Click Apply
To apply more rules to other products, repeat the steps above.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Max Discounts alert will only be displayed when a discount is entered beyond the maximum allowed discount for that User Profile.
With Override Permissions Enabled:
If you have the ability to override the Max Discount Rule you will be prompted to confirm you want to exceed the discount.
Without Override Permissions enabled:
If you don't have access to override the Maximum Discount Rule, you will be prompted to enter user credentials with access to override the discount.
Otherwise, press Cancel (the discount will not be applied).